In One Spirit Miami Church
9 DAYS of corporate fasting and prayer.
WHY 9 DAYS? AND WHY IN THE MONTH 9?
Well, in general the number 9 is the largest and last digit correlating “finality” and “completeness.”
Also, the “NINTH HOUR” symbolized the “HOUR OF PRAYER”
•Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour. (Acts 3:1)
•And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing (Acts 10:30)
WHY SHOULD I PRAY and FAST?
Jesus implied that all believers should fast (Matthew 6:16-18; 9:14-15). For Him it was a matter of when believers should fast, not if they should fast. Why pray and fast?
Do you desire a deeper, more intimate relationship with God? Do you want to increase your spiritual sensitivity? Do you need to break free from bondages, habits or addictions that are holding you hostage? Do you have a friend or family member that needs to know Christ? Do you want to know God’s will for your life? Is there a dream inside you that only God can make possible? Are you in need of a healing or miracle? Do you desire a great awareness of God’s presence in your church and in your life? Are you passionate about seeing IOS Church become more active and effective in the completion of the Great Commission? Do you long to see God bring revival to this generation? If so, we encourage you to join our 9 day corporate fast. There is power when we come together in agreement and In One Spirit.
The foundation of prayer and fasting is repentance. Here are several things you can do to prepare your heart:
• Confess every sin the Holy Spirit brings to your mind. Accept God’s forgiveness (1 John 1:9).
• Ask forgiveness from everyone you have hurt or offended. Forgive all of those who have hurt or offended you (Mark 11:25; Luke 11:4; 17:3-4).
• Ask God to fill you with the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 5:18).
• Surrender your life fully to the purpose and plan of God (Romans 12:1-2).
• Believe that God “rewards those who diligently seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6).
• Do not underestimate spiritual opposition. Satan will usually intensify his efforts when you devote yourself to prayer and fasting (Luke 4).
• Find an accountability partner who will encourage you in your fast.
• Keep a journal during your fast. Write down specific insights God gives you from His Word, promises that you have claimed and answers to prayer that you receive.
DECIDING WHAT KIND
The type of fast you go on is between you and God. Here are some options:
• A Normal (Full) Fast – Abstain from food, drink only liquids (water and / or specific juices).
(The best juices are from fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid any liquids containing caffeine, as they will stimulate your appetite and make fasting more difficult. If you drink a lot of coffee, you may want to begin “weaning” yourself off caffeine over the next few days.)
• The Daniel Fast – Abstain from meats, sweets and breads, drink only water. (Vegetables and most natural fruits are acceptable.)
• Combination Fast – Begin the first three days with a full or normal fast. Continue by observing the Daniel Fast for the remaining period of your fast.
• Media Fast – A decision to limit or completely abstain from media – television, gaming, social media, etc. for a specific period of time.
Important Note: If you are on medication or have a medical condition, please consult your doctor before beginning a fast. Also, anyone engaging in a prolonged full fast should consult with his or her doctor.
Deciding on what kind of fast you will observe ahead of time will help you sustain your fast when physical temptations and life’s pressures tempt you to abandon your fast.
For maximum spiritual benefit, it is important that the time normally devoted to eating be given to prayer, Bible study and being alone with God.
Pray often throughout the day. Spend time in Bible Study. Make personal praise and worship a priority. Spend time in solitude and get away from every distraction possible (television, radio, cell phones, computers, etc.) Keep a journal. The more time you spend alone with God, the more effective and meaningful your fast will be.
MAKING THE COMMITMENT
1. My purpose or reason for fasting is: ________
2. I will observe the following kind of fast: ________
3. I will observe this fast for this period of time: ________
4. My accountability partner during this fast will be: ________
5. Why is this the right time for me to fast: ________
I believe that God is the only answer to my request and that prayer without fasting is not enough to get an answer to my need. Therefore, by faith I am fasting because I desperately need God to work in this matter. God being my strength and His grace being my basis, I commit myself to the above fast.